4 Ways eDiscovery Can Help You Outclass Your Competition
Takeaway: Use the right eDiscovery software, and you can outclass your competition even in an economic downturn. You’ll be able to take on larger cases, meet tighter deadlines, work as a more cohesive team, and still offer affordable rates.
The right eDiscovery software can keep you stay competitive even in the toughest times.
The current economic downturn hints at an uncertain future, but law firms usually weather downturns better than the overall economy does. The challenge is to keep offering value to your clients. And with the uptick in eDiscovery over the last few years, finding the right eDiscovery software is the perfect place to start. Here’s how it’ll help keep your law firm competitive.
1. You’ll take on the larger cases that your competition says ‘no’ to.
Large firms rarely have to say ‘no’ to large cases because they have the right tools and workforce. And nowadays, there are more large cases than ever before. For example, when Michael Cohen was indicted and convicted, both sides had about 40 days to review millions of files, videos and documents. You probably aren’t looking at handling cases that size, but you can still use the large-firm strategy of gathering the right eDiscovery tools. And the first step is to be able to scale your cases up when needed.
Cloud-eDiscovery lets you rapidly increase (and then decrease) storage space.
Here, your eDiscovery software stores your data in the global network of high-performance servers called ‘the Cloud.’ That is, a global network of servers belonging to software giants like Amazon and Google. The Cloud has near-limitless storage space, so power up or down based on your current caseload.
2. You’ll meet the tightest deadlines without compromising quality.
More work doesn’t necessarily mean you need more people on your staff. Not if you have the right tools to build a defensible case.
- Quickly find the files you need. eDiscovery search engines can search your files for keywords and keyword combinations. But with an ‘advanced’ search, it can process complex commands to find zero in on hard-to-find documents. For example, you can in effect tell your software to, “Find all emails John Anderson sent Sally Nedry, which mention the Pfizer meeting. And which were sent before 2015.” Learn more about advanced searches.
- Catch easily-missed data. Each of your files has a digital fingerprint called metadata. This is information about the file, like when it was created, who created it, etc. There are hundreds of metadata ‘fields’ that can give you valuable information that’s not in the actual file. (For example, metadata can tell you if a file has been tampered with.) So, the more of these metadata fields your eDiscovery software can search, the more ‘bonus’ information you get. Learn more about metadata.
- Focus on what’s important. The best eDiscovery applications help you draw connections, set contexts and develop the right narratives. For example, they’ll let you tag related files, add notes and annotations to each document you review, and leave comments you can use to start discussions with your teammates.
3. You’ll work as a cohesive team at peak performance.
If some of your teammates aren’t good with technology, they’re likely to get left behind in the wholely digital world of eDiscovery. So, for peak performance, it’s worth finding eDiscovery software that’s simple enough for your team’s most technologically-challenged member.
Easy-to-use eDiscovery software means everyone can take ownership of their work.
No-one will need help to use the software because everything is intuitive, and you’ll be using computer skills you already know. For example, with the best software, you’ll:
- Sign in as you do with email. No need to download and install anything. Just go to your eDiscovery provider’s website and sign in.
- Search as you do with Google. Even the most ‘advanced’ searches described above are easy to master.
- Access data like you do with Dropbox. With Cloud storage, you’ll be able to access your files from anywhere. All you’ll need is a laptop and an internet connection.
- Outsource the technical issues. Your eDiscovery provider will handle software updates, security, and troubleshooting technical issues.
## 4. You’ll still offer competitive rates for your high-quality work.
The best eDiscovery applications offer you great savings that you can choose to pass on to your clients. The trick is to find an application with pricing that’s fair and easy to understand. What you want is eDiscovery pricing where you pay for fixed chunks of storage space (called storage ‘plans’), instead of paying a per-GB rate for everything you upload. This type of pricing means you’ll know your monthly eDiscovery bill upfront as well as what specifically you’re paying for. (Learn more about the difference between ‘fixed volume’ pricing and ‘per-GB pricing.)
Need powerful eDiscovery software that can help you compete with larger firms? Try GoldFynch.
It’s a tried and tested eDiscovery application that prioritizes things that matter to small and midsize law firms. That’s why:
- It costs just $10 a month for a 1 GB case: That’s $25 less—every month—than the nearest comparable software. And hundreds of dollars less than many others. With GoldFynch, you know what you’re paying for exactly – its pricing is simple and readily available on the website.
- It’s easy to budget for. GoldFynch has a flat, prorated rate. With legacy software, your bill changes depending on how much data you use.
- It takes just minutes to get going. It runs in the Cloud, so you use it through your web browser (Google Chrome recommended). No installation. No sales calls or emails. Plus, you get a free, fully-functional trial case (0.5 GB of data and processing cap of 1 GB), without adding a credit card.
- It can handle even the largest cases. GoldFynch scales from small to large, since it’s in the Cloud. So, choose from a range of case sizes (1 GB to 100 GB, and more) and don’t waste money on space you don’t need.
- You can access it from anywhere. And 24/7. All your files are backed up and secure in the Cloud. And you can monitor its servers here.
- You won’t have to worry about technical stuff. It’s designed, developed and run by the same team. So, its technical support isn’t outsourced. Which means you get prompt and reliable service.
Want to learn more about GoldFynch?
For related posts about eDiscovery, check out the following links.
- eDiscovery Overload: What to Do When Your Small Law Firm Has Too Much to Handle
- 5 eDiscovery Trends Your Small Law Firm Can’t Afford to Miss
- Have You Optimized eDiscovery to Retain Clients for Your Small Law Firm?
- 5-Minute eDiscovery: How to Save Time and Money for Your Small Law Firm
- [Uncovered] eDiscovery Myth: Small Law Firms Can’t Handle Large Cases [over 100 GB]
- 16 Have-to-Know Questions to Simplify eDiscovery for Your Small Law Firm
- 8 Common eDiscovery Mistakes Your Small Law Firm May be Making