5 eDiscovery Collaboration Features Your Software Must Have
Takeaway: eDiscovery is a team activity. But teamwork brings some challenges. So, make sure your eDiscovery software has these features: (1) Cloud eDiscovery – so your team can access files from anywhere. (2) Saveable searches – so they don’t lose searches they’ve already built. (3) ‘Quick’ Tags – so they can group files and find the important ones quickly. (4) Control over permissions and users – so you can choose who does what. (5) Secure production sharing – so your data stays safe.
eDiscovery brings teams together. But teamwork has its challenges.
Attorneys, eDiscovery consultants, and IT teams collaborate for eDiscovery. And they often collaborate internationally. But how does ‘team’ eDiscovery work? For one, where do you store your eDiscovery data? How will your team access it? How will they work on it together? And how will you keep it safe?
The solution? Choose eDiscovery software with these 5 collaboration features.
The best applications have them all.
1. Cloud eDiscovery. So your team can access files from anywhere.
Newer eDiscovery applications store your data in the Cloud. Here, software giants like Amazon and Google lease out storage space on their vast networks of private servers – i.e., a virtual ‘cloud.’ When eDiscovery software runs in the Cloud, your team can access it – simultaneously – from anywhere. They just need to open their regular internet browser, go to their eDiscovery website, and sign in. It’s the same as checking email. And they can do it from the closest PC, laptop, or tablet. All they need is an internet connection! Learn more about Cloud eDiscovery.
2. Saveable searches. So your team doesn’t lose searches they’ve already built.
eDiscovery searches need to be broad enough to catch all the files you’re looking for. But not so broad that they catch a lot of irrelevant files too. So, you’ll set up a search, test it on a small sample of your data, see the results, tweak the search, and repeat. This takes a lot of time and effort. So, the best eDiscovery applications let you save the searches that your team builds. That way, team members can reuse these searches when needed. Learn more about searching your eDiscovery case.
3. ‘Quick’ (or easy-access) tags. So your team can group files and find the important ones quickly.
Think of a tag as a virtual post-it. With paper documents, you stick post-its to key pages so that you can easily find them again. With electronic documents, you use tags. They’ll pull up related files and content with a single click. They’ll make it easy to ‘produce’ these files too. And they’ll help your team stay organized. The best eDiscovery applications have tags that are quick and easy to use. You’ll be able to choose from default tags, create new ones and label them (to add context), and bulk tag files and file families.
4. Control over permissions and users. So you can choose who does what.
You may not want everyone on your team to have full control of a case. So, the best eDiscovery applications let you allot different levels of access for each user. For example, eDiscovery software GoldFynch has 4 levels of access:
- Level 1: Reviewers – They can search and review data. And generate reports and ‘productions.’
- Level 2: Users – They have reviewer privileges, plus they can upload, move, rename and delete files. They can also modify tags, productions, and reports.
- Level 3: Admins – They have level 1 & 2 privileges. Plus they can add, remove, and change roles for users, as well as delete the case.
- Level 4: Owners – They can do all of the above, and also control billing.
5. Secure production sharing. So your data stays safe.
Your data is most vulnerable when you share ‘productions’ with your team. So, the best eDiscovery applications let you link to these productions, instead of downloading them and mailing/emailing them to your team or clients. People with the link can view your production from within your eDiscovery application. Where your data is encrypted and protected from prying eyes. Plus, you’re sharing only the completed production – not the original files. So, there’s no danger of anyone reading privileged content. Learn more about sharing productions.
Need eDiscovery software that helps teams collaborate? Try GoldFynch.
It’s a next-generation eDiscovery application that prioritizes things that matter to small law firms. That’s why:
- It costs just $25 a month for a 3 GB case: That’s much less–every month–than the nearest comparable software. And hundreds of dollars less than many others. With GoldFynch, you know what you’re paying for exactly – its pricing is simple and readily available on the website.
- It’s easy to budget for. GoldFynch has a flat, prorated rate. With legacy software, your bill changes depending on how much data you use.
- It takes just minutes to get going. It runs in the Cloud, so you use it through your web browser (Google Chrome recommended). No installation. No sales calls or emails. Plus, you get a free, fully-functional trial case (0.5 GB of data and processing cap of 1 GB), without adding a credit card.
- It can handle even the largest cases. GoldFynch scales from small to large, since it’s in the Cloud. So, choose from a range of case sizes (3 GB to 100 GB, and more) and don’t waste money on space you don’t need.
- You can access it from anywhere. And 24/7. All your files are backed up and secure in the Cloud. And you can monitor its servers here.
- You won’t have to worry about technical stuff. It’s designed, developed, and run by the same team. So, its technical support isn’t outsourced. Which means you get prompt and reliable service.
Want to learn more about GoldFynch?
For related posts about eDiscovery, check out the following links.
- What’s the Difference Between PDF, DOCX, TXT and RTF files in eDiscovery?
- Why Your E-Discovery Software Needs To Have OCR
- eDiscovery Overload: What to Do When Your Small Law Firm Has Too Much to Handle
- 5 eDiscovery Trends Your Small Law Firm Can’t Afford to Miss
- ‘Drag-and-Drop’ eDiscovery: The Astonishingly Simple Way For Your Small Law Firm to Do eDiscovery
- 5-Minute eDiscovery: How to Save Time and Money for Your Small Law Firm
- 16 Have-to-Know Questions to Simplify eDiscovery for Your Small Law Firm
- 8 Common eDiscovery Mistakes Your Small Law Firm May be Making