How to Open MBOX Files Using Only Your Web Browser
Takeaways: Repurpose GoldFynch’s eDiscovery software to open, explore, and print out MBOX files – all from your web browser! It’s free for MBOX files up to 512 MB, and for larger MBOXes (more than 512 MB), monthly subscription plans start at $25 for 3 GB of storage.
Use GoldFynch’s online software to open and explore MBOX files from within your web browser.
MBOX files are innovative because they let us store and share emails without changing their configuration. So, all the text, images, videos, and other attachments stay just as they were when first delivered. Also, MBOX files don’t lock you into a tech ecosystem like PST files lock you into Microsoft Outlook. So, you can open MBOX files with third-party software like Mozilla Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Netscape, Eudora, and more. But GoldFynch takes things a step further by letting you open MBOX files using only your web browser! Here’s how it works:
Step 1: Log into GoldFynch via your web browser.
To use GoldFynch, go to GoldFynch’s signup page, sign up for free via your email address, and log in using your new credentials. The software runs in the Cloud, so you won’t have to download, install and/or update any software. Instead, you’ll access it via your web browser, as you do with email. You can work from a computer or tablet anywhere globally, and the GoldFynch team will handle all the behind-the-scenes technical stuff.
Step 2: Load your MBOX files by ‘dragging and dropping’ them into your browser.
Simply drag-and-drop your MBOX files into your web browser (i.e., your new eDiscovery window). Alternatively, click the ‘upload file’ option and navigate to your MBOX file. GoldFynch will do a bunch of important processing in the background to extract your emails, run optical character recognition (OCR) on image files, slot your data into a database, and more. Importantly, GoldFynch has a dashboard that will help you spot and track errored MBOX files, preventing last-minute surprises. With the free version of GoldFynch, you’ll get 512 MB of storage space for your MBOX files, but you can upgrade to 3 GB (or more) of storage starting at just $25 a month.
Step 3: Explore your MBOXes and emails
GoldFynch has a search engine that lets you search for emails and attachments within an MBOX file, or across multiple MBOXes. With a ‘quick search,’ you’ll type in a keyword, name, or date for GoldFynch to find. And with an ‘advanced search,’ you’ll combine these keywords using Boolean operators to create a complex query like, ‘Find any emails that custodian Ryan Stiles sent custodian Colin Mochrie about the ‘Carey Meeting,’ sent before August 2010.’ Learn more about advanced searches.
(Remember, you’ll be able to search email metadata and attachments, too.)
Emails come with additional data that isn’t in the main text body. Data like who sent the email, when it was sent, the route it took to get to your server, and more. This metadata is an email’s digital footprint, giving you a lot of bonus contextual information. And GoldFynch is unique because it lets you search this metadata. So, in our example above, GoldFynch would catch the names Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie even if they were just email recipients, and not mentioned in the main email body text. Similarly, GoldFynch will search the contents of attached documents, too – another feature that many email clients don’t offer.
Step 4: Track and group related emails
GoldFynch lets you group related emails and files by using ‘tags,’ which are like virtual post-its. Tag an email or MBOX file once, and you can pull it up later with a single click, along with any other emails/MBOXes with the same tag. Tags add context to your emails, making it easier to see where they fit into your larger case strategy. Learn more about GoldFynch’s tags.
Step 5: Convert your MBOXes into PDFs
Since GoldFynch is primarily an eDiscovery application, it comes with an inbuilt MBOX to PDF converter. Click on GoldFynch’s ‘Production’ tab, and it’ll take you through the steps to produce your MBOXs as PDFs. You can choose to convert all your emails/MBOXes, select batches based on their tags, or manually add/remove your choices. And GoldFynch will auto-stamp the produced PDFs with tracking numbers (i.e., Bates numbers) to keep them in the correct order. (Learn more about productions.) Also, GoldFynch’s redaction tool lets you censor privileged information by placing ‘redaction boxes’ over sentences, paragraphs, or entire pages. These boxes are translucent when you’re reviewing your emails and turn opaque during the MBOX-to-PDF conversion. Learn more about redaction.
Remember, GoldFynch protects your MBOX files more thoroughly than most other applications.
GoldFynch offers multiple layers of protection that many other applications don’t. For instance, the MBOXes you upload are encrypted (and protected by bank-grade security) when going to and from the Cloud. Also, since you’re not downloading and installing software, you’re less at risk from hackers and spyware/malware. But just as important, GoldFynch protects your file metadata (which we discussed in Step 3 above). So, you can open and explore your MBOXes without worrying about mistakenly tampering with valuable bonus data.
GoldFynch does more than just handle MBOXes, though. It’s a complete eDiscovery suite.
GoldFynch is an eDiscovery service with a suite of search and review tools to explore all kinds of electronically stored information – not just emails and MBOXes. And GoldFynch has some other things going for it, too.
- It costs just $25 a month for a 3 GB case: That’s significantly less than most comparable software. With GoldFynch, you know what you’re paying for exactly – its pricing is simple and readily available on the website.
- It’s easy to budget for. GoldFynch charges only for storage (processing files is free). So, choose from a range of plans (3 GB to 150+ GB) and know up-front how much you’ll be paying. You can upload and cull as much data as you want, as long as you stay below your storage limit. And even if you do cross the limit, you can upgrade your plan with just a few clicks. Also, billing is prorated – so you’ll pay only for the time you spend on any given plan. With legacy software, pricing is much less predictable.
- It takes just minutes to get going. GoldFynch runs in the Cloud, so you use it through your web browser (Google Chrome recommended). No installation. No sales calls or emails. Plus, you get a free trial case (0.5 GB of data and a processing cap of 1 GB) without adding a credit card.
- It’s simple to use. Many eDiscovery applications take hours to master. GoldFynch takes minutes. It handles a lot of complex processing in the background, but what you see is minimal and intuitive. Just drag-and-drop your files into GoldFynch, and you’re good to go. Plus, you get prompt and reliable tech support.
- Access it from anywhere, and 24/7. All your files are backed up and secure in the Cloud.
Want to find out more about GoldFynch?
For related posts about eDiscovery, check out the following links.
- eDiscovery Without Expensive Software: Is It Possible?
- Upgrading Your eDiscovery Software: How to Switch Providers Seamlessly
- Are You Spending Your eDiscovery Budget Wisely?
- The Secret to Choosing the Best Low-Cost eDiscovery Software for Your Small Law Firm
- Is Social Media the Future of eDiscovery?
- Here’s How eDiscovery Software Identifies File Types