Text and images you redact will be covered and made unrecoverable in the final produced document (i.e., the document you give to opposing counsel). However, in your original file, the text will be visible and fully searchable.
Marking content for redaction
Placing redaction boxes
Step 1. Click on the
Docs icon in the left navigation panel to open the Document Viewer.
Step 2. Scroll to the content you wish to mark for redaction.
Step 3. Click on the
Draw button in the right-side panel
Step 4. Click, and drag the mouse cursor to draw a box over the content to be redacted. Repeat this for all the content in the document that you wish to mark for redaction.
Step 5. Click on the
Stop Redacting button to save your redaction box placement.
Redacting entire pages and page ranges
Instead of drawing out boxes to be redacted, entire pages and even page ranges can be marked for redaction. These page-wise redactions are effectively identical to drawing a redaction box across the whole page, and as such will be affected by all options that affect boxes generated using the ‘Draw’ option (e.g. redaction box color, redaction mode, etc.)
Step 1. Follow the steps as above, but instead clicking on the
Draw button, click on the
Add Range button
Step 2. Enter a single page number, a range of pages, or a combination of both in the text box that appears. Separate each of these with commas. Make sure you do not leave a space after each comma.
Step 3. Hit the Return key to save your redactions, or the Esc button to cancel the assignment.
From the Document Viewer you can manage redactions in a document. Your current redactions are listed under the ‘Redactions’ section in the right panel.
- Full-page redactions will be tagged as such, along with the range of redacted pages.
- Pages with redaction boxes will be listed (e.g. Page 3 in the image below) and a number will be displayed against them - this is the number of redaction boxes placed on that page.
- Click on the arrow next to a page or page range to immediately jump to that page/the first page of the range.
- Click on the trashcan icon against a page number or page range to remove all redactions on that page or on in that page range respectively.
- To remove a single redaction box, click on the
Drawbutton and then on the
Xbutton in the top-right corner of the redaction box. Click on
Stop Redactingwhen you are done.
Applying redactions during the production process
When you produce your files, you are asked to choose how you want to format the redactions applied.
Selecting the redaction mode
- Final Mode will apply regular redactions to the final produced documents, removing all content that is placed under the redaction boxes. The boxes become opaque, and content they cover becomes unreadable and unsearchable for.
- Preview Mode makes the boxes marked for redaction translucent in the final produced documents. Content they cover remain visible and searchable for. (This option is usually used during internal review as a way to denote what data would be removed if the file was produced using Final Mode redactions.)
Selecting the redaction box fill colour
You are given a choice of color of the redactions applied to the production:
- Black boxes
- White boxes with black borders
For Preview Mode redactions, the black and white redaction boxes will have their translucent equivalents.